Benefits and Functions of Hedgerows
- CAFF – Community Alliance with Family Farmers
- WFA – Wild Farm Alliance
- NRCS – Natural Resources Conservation Service, USDA
- UCCE Hedgerow Resource Listing University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Xerces Society
- NCAT/ATTRA – National Center for Appropriate Technology
- CAFF 2018 Hedgerows and Farmscaping for California Agriculture-A Resource Guide for Farmers
- FIRE SCAPING WITH NATIVE PLANTS Santa Cruz County
- CAFF Guide: Hedgerows for California Agriculture: A Resource Guide
- Article: California Agriculture Online – Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects on farms in California’s Central Valley
- NRCS Guide: Conservation Buffers in Organic Systems
- Creekside Plantings and Restoration in California Rangelands – UC Davis, Audubon California
- Livestock grazing guidelines for controlling noxious weeds in the western United States.
- Safe Procurement and Production Manual Free download of The Oregon Association of Nurseries “,” a 106-page guide to producing healthy nursery stock by using a systems approach.
- Maximizing arthropod-mediated ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes: the role of native plants. Isaacs, Rufus, et al. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7.4 (2008): 196-203.
- Hedgerow Installation Guide_CA CentralCoast – Xerces/NRCS Guide 2012
- Audubon Report: Hedgerow Effects on Birds and Water, CA Central Valley – Feb 2014
- Establishing Hedgerows on Farms in California-Rachael Long and John Anderson
- Organic Farmers Field Buffers Guide, NSAC
- Pest Control and Pollination Cost-Benefit Analysis of Hedgerow Restoration
- Hedgerow Benefits Align with Food Production and Sustainability Goals
- Hedgerows Enhance Beneficial Insects
- Good News for Hedgerows-No Effects on Food Safety in the Field
- Plant list 2-8-18
- Site Visit Form 2017
- Planting Instructions for Hedgerows
- Tips for Weeds, Lawns and Landscaping (fact sheets), Northwest Center for Alternatives to Pesticides
- Framework for Setting Research Priorities
- California Native Plant Nurseries
- Las Pilitas
- Theodore Payne
- California Native Plant Locator
- Webinar Recording: Planting Habitat on Farms: Design, Techniques, Issues
- Habitat Network/Yardmap – a citizen science project designed to cultivate a richer understanding of wildlife habitat, for both professional scientists and people concerned with their local environments. We collect data by asking individuals across the country to literally draw maps of their backyards, parks, farms, favorite birding locations, schools, and gardens. We connect you with your landscape details and provide tools for you to make better decisions about how to manage landscapes sustainably.
- Biological Control using Habitat – Eric Brennan, USDA Organic Researcher YouTube
- Efficient Intercropping for Biological Control of Aphids – Eric Brennan YouTube
- Wild Farm Alliance Food Safety Resources
- Farmer’s Guide to Food Safety and Conservation
- Co-Managing Farm Stewardship with Food Safety GAP’s and Conservation Practices
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers Food Safety Resources
- Wild Farm Alliance Biodiversity Resources
- How to Conserve Biodiversity on the Farm: a Continuum – Wild Farm Alliance
- Biodiversity Guide for Farmers and Certifiers – Wild Farm Alliance, 2nd Ed.
- Hedgerows offer many hidden benefits to Valley growers
- Birds in Hedgerows research article
- Pest Removal by Birds
- Bringing Nature Home by Doug Tallamy. 2007. Timber Pressi
- Collecting, Processing and Germinating Seeds of Wildland Plants James & Cheryl Young. 1986. Timber Press.
- Growing California Native Plants, by Marjorie Schmidt & Katherine Greenberg. 2012. University of California Press.
- California Native Plants for the Garden, by Carol Bornstein, David Fross & Bart O’Brien. 2005. Cachuma Press.
- Native Treasures, Gardening with the Plants of California by Nevin Smith. 2006. UC Press.
- Sunset Western Garden Book. Sunset Publishing Corporation, Menlo Park, CA.
- The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, A Natural History of the Backyard Restoration Garden by Judith Larner Lowry. 2007. UC Press.
- Secrets of the Oak Woodlands: Plants & Animals among California’s Oaks, by Kate Marianchild. 2014. Heyday Press, Berkeley, CA.
- Farming with Beneficial Insects, Xerces Society
- Attracting Native Pollinators, Xerces Society\
- Seed Propagation of Native California Plants by Dara Emery. 1988. Santa Barbara Botanic Garden.
- Robert Kourik Website – source of books and information on blooming cycles of beneficial insect-attracting plants